Sep 1, 2009

DASH diet recipe - turkey chili

I made this for dinner last night and it was full of flavor. It was our first official DASH diet meal. I had no recipe, so I hope I remember everything I put in it! TURKEY CHILI 1.5 lbs ground turkey 2 med. onions, chopped 1 cup chopped celery 1 cup chopped green pepper 1 cup diced carrots 1 15 oz can low-sodium tomato sauce 1 15 oz can low-sodium diced tomatoes 1 can low-sodium beef broth 1 tsp garlic powder 2 tbsp chili powder 2 tbsp cumin 2 tbsp oregano 1 tbsp black pepper 1 tsp red pepper flakes 1 tsp worsteshire sauce 1 tsp olive oil Heat olive oil in large soup pot and add onions, celery, green peppers, and carrots; cook until onions are tender. Add turkey and cook until all pink is gone. Add all other ingredients, bring to a simmer and simmer for at least two hours. Stir frequently, add water if the chili gets too thick. This made 8 servings. Chili freezes well - just place in airtight plastic container and freeze! I served the chili with homemade corn muffins (no sugar or salt) and a mixed green salad.

3 comments:

Karen said...

Sounds delish! Sorry I ragged on your diet....if it works that's wonderful!

Barb said...

It sounds like you are on your way. I will say that a DASH diet has more fiber than many people eat already, espeically if you werent eating only whole grains. That will have side effects the first couple of weeks, for lack of a better way to say it. I'll also add that the reason this diet differes from eating sensibly is that just eating sensibly will not lower the blood pressure drastically. It also includes more magneisium and potassium and such than a normal sensible diet will entail. That and the additional fruit/veg requirement (four of each) is way above the "five alive" rule. Youll probably be very happy with it in the long run.

Joan J said...

Barb, I understand about the fiber. I've long been a whole-grain eater (love many varieties of beans, very heavy whole grain breads, shredded wheat cereals, etc.) but my husband isn't and suffered just as you mentioned. We backed fiber down a bit for him and will introduce it more gradually. I'm surprised at how much I'm enjoying all the fruit! And I agree -- at first glance this looks like a "just eat healthy" diet, but it is more involved than that.