Jun 3, 2014

Reverse Menu Planning - (or: What We Ate Last Week)

A big trend amongst bloggers is to post their menus for the upcoming week. I've done it myself many times. That said, I've also strayed from the planned menu many times (!) and we end up eating something totally different than what I planned. So what good, really, did it do to post a planned menu if I'm not sticking to it?

So now, here's what we REALLY ate last week! On a side note, I am trying to eliminate as many processed foods from our daily menu as I can. Sometimes it's just not possible and sometimes (hot dog rolls) it's just not convenient. But in my book, "Some is better than none" so I just do the best I can.

If you try nothing else in this list, try the STRAWBERRY PINEAPPLE SALAD WITH PINEAPPLE RANCH DRESSING. Oh my. Quite possibly the best salad I've eaten in many, many years.

SUNDAY
Homemade sour dough bread French Toast
Sunny-side up egg
 
Sunday - Breakfast for dinner!

MONDAY
Grilled Extra Lean Hamburger, topped with
Homemade Guacamole/Salsa (*recipe) and
Homemade sandwich rolls
Roasted Red Pepper Hummas
Garden Fresh Gourmet Salt-free Tortilla Chips


Monday

TUESDAY

Tuesday

WEDNESDAY
Grilled Chicken Thighs with BBQ sauce
Half a baked potato


THURSDAY
Grilled Extra Lean Hamburgers (again!)
Topped with pickled red onions
Leftover Apple Coleslaw
(fermented with garlic and lemon grass)
(ended up mixing them in coleslaw - yum!) 

Thursday

FRIDAY
Hot dogs (Boar's Head - no nitrates, no fillers)
Tomato, lettuce salad topped with leftover guacamole/salsa
Potato Gnocchi with garlic and Parmesan cheese

 (
Friday
Saturday - no picture - take out Chinese Food!

*Recipe - Guacamole Salsa

I know there's a million guacamole recipes on the Internet, so you probably don't need one more. But mine is SO easy and tastes SO fresh and bright. It's kind of like guacamole, and kind of like Salsa. We use it on burgers, to dip tortilla chips, or as a salad dressing. Here's what I do:

2 Roma Tomatoes
1/2 large green pepper
1/2 medium yellow onion
2 jalapeno peppers (take out seeds if you don't like heat)
1 tbsp of cilantro paste (or use a 1/2 cup of chopped cilantro)
1 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp cumin
Salt to taste (I don't add any)

Chop and mix all these up real quick in a food processor.

Take the pits out of 2 avacados, scoop out the flesh, place in a bowl and mash well. Add the above ingredients from the food processor. Add 1 tbsp of lime (or lemon) juice. Stir well. That's it!

 

No comments: