May 7, 2012

Flea Market finds

I don't have luck very often at our local flea market. The vendors seem to concentrate less on antiques (especially furniture) and collectibles and more on DVD's, new items (from store close-outs), tools, and just plain junk.

But for every rule there is an exception! And yesterday I scored a few great things.


I found this wonderful wrought iron plant holder that now holds my herbs (Rosemary, Basil, Garlic Chives, Sage, Oregano, and Parsley). I like it because you can adjust the position of the way the pots sit, so I will be able to bring the whole thing into my kitchen once Fall arrives. I'd like to keep the herbs going year-round. The price? $5.00!


And how about this great fountain! I had just mentioned to my husband that I'd like to find a fountain for the back deck to mask some of the traffic noise. The picture doesn't do it justice. It is made of resin, but looks like it's made of gray cement. It's about 3 feet high, and lights from the bottom. The water trickles back and forth between the little chutes, and makes just the right amount of sound. The price? $5.00!

Now that we have this lovely fountain and plant stand, of course I want to re-decorate my back deck. Our patio furniture is old and has seen it's last days. I'm thinking of replacing the standard table and four chairs with an outdoor love seat and two chairs, and an outdoor rug. I'm headed to the garden store today to pick up some flowers for the flower boxes, and perhaps stop and see what I can find for new furniture.

I also picked up a nice old sewing box (50 cents), six pair of new earrings at .25 cents each, and... these:



I have no idea what these are. Anyone have a guess? They are about 16-18 inches high and the top decoration is brass and appears to be of a religious nature. The stake itself is steel and has an imprint "INOXIDABLE" on each one, which I believe is Spanish for "Steel" ("aceros inoxidable" is stainless steel). Someone at the flea market suggested they were cemetery markers? There are a total of 12, three of each of the four different designed tops. I'd love to find out what they are. I do see the Star of David on one design, but that's really all I recognize. I was actually going to use them as garden stakes, but the suggestion that they might be cemetery markers has me wanting to use them in a respectful manner or give them to someone who would. If anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear them!

Our weather here is lovely these days -- high 70s to mid-80s -- and my garden is  now officially fully planted. I added green beans, cucumber and (shaded) spinach this week. The raised bed garden is not going to be large enough to accomodate zucchini, unfortunately. Not sure how I'm going to work around this, since I really want fresh zucchini!

We're just a few hours away from another round of heavy thunderstorms, so I'm off to do my errands before the next session hits.

Life is Good!

3 comments:

Carla said...

Very Very Nice and oh what a thrifty shopper u are :)

Carla said...

Well all things very very nice and what a thrift shopper Joan <3 Happy Bday Yesterday

Karen said...

Lucky you, finding all those great things! I love the flower pot holder....we need something like that cause Tag wants to plant herbs too.