Jul 22, 2011

34 years - and counting.

Today is Jeff's and my 34th wedding anniversary. It's as amazing to me as it probably is to you.

Now, I've never been beautiful. Not even pretty. I made "cute" and "unusual", but never much more than that. I've had a weight problem from the age of 6. Not jiggley cushiony fat, but "rubenesque" -- short (5'3" on a good day), wide hips, big butt. I was not skinny when my husband and I met, so it wasn't a smoke and mirrors situation. He knew who he was marrying. Apparently, he liked it enough to put a ring on it, as the song says. I've never been a fashionista or cared much what hairstyle I was wearing, what my best color was, or that shoes should match the purse. I'm happier in jeans than in a dress. My hair usually gets swept up in a hair clip. Make-up? Hmm.. I'm not sure I even own any right now, though I'd run out and buy some if there was a special occasion.

I say all that to preface my favorite story about my husband. In 1991, I started and ran an online business and became, at the time, Cincinnati's largest privately owned Internet provider. When I worked at the server keyboard, I could glance and see what was going on on the BBS (live chat) side of the business. And one day I saw someone ask my husband (online) what I looked like. I cringed. He had no idea I was sitting at the monitor, holding my breath, waiting to see what his response would be. And then he typed this:

To me, she is the most beautiful woman in the world.

Yeah, I love that man. And he loves me for exactly who I am. Seriously. It just doesn't get any better than that.

Happy Anniversary, Jeff. I love you.

2 comments:

Goat Gal said...

This story makes my heart smile... Happy Anniversary.

Karen said...

Joan, you and Jeff deserve every bit of happiness you have together. You are both amazing, special people. Tag and I have the same connection, so I know how special it is, and I know you treat your relationship right. God bless you and keep you for another 34 years.