Feb 6, 2011

Life happens

Oy oy oy... it's been one of those weeks.

I've been on a bit of a sewing frenzy - that's a good thing. But one day while I was sewing the phone rang, I jumped up to answer it and knocked over my cup of coffee - across the keyboard of my laptop! o you hve ny ie wht hppen when the letter  n  top workin on your computer? (Translation: Do you have any idea what happens when the letters A, S, D and G stop working on your computer?)

Being the schmarty pantz that I am, I quickly turned off the laptop, ran and got a towel and wiped it down as best I could. I even took out the battery pack to make sure no liquid had gotten in there. Then I turned my laptop back on....

And got the password screen. My password, of course, contains one of the now non-working letters. Sigh.

What do you do when your computer is down? Quilt, of course! So I decided to get back to the project I was working on - only to remember the pattern and measurements were on my unaccessible computer. NOT printed out as I normally do because I recently made the decision not to print out so many patterns...

OK then. I won't tell you the long story of packing up my laptop and taking it to Best Buy, hoping they would pop off the keyboard, dry it out, and I'd be on my merry passworded accessible way, only to be told they want $85 and two to four weeks of doing God only knows what with my computer. I did manage to convince the guy to tell ME how to open up the computer to dry it out (apparently against company policy but I think he was tired of my whining), and then he let it slip that all I needed was a USB keyboard which I could use temporarily to replace my non-working keyboard. YAY!

So I'm back in business, typing on what feels like the mother of all keyboards, my little laptop screen now feels like it's miles away and incapable of being in range of my bifocals, but hey... it's all good.  et I c now type  lo pot n let you ll know why I hven't een roun! (Translation: At least I can now type a blog post and let you all know why I haven't been around!)

3 comments:

Kia @ A View From Here said...

I seem destined to spill things into keyboards. My mishaps have all been full size though, not my lappy fortunately.
I managed to spill cola into one keyboard, and hot wax into another!
The sticky cola caused problems and the wax... well that keyboard was pronounced doa!

Anonymous said...

Hey kiddo, if that happens again turn your keyboard upside-down on a towel immediately.

But yeah, there are lots of USB things you can plug into your laptop. I have a USB floppy disk drive because the camera I prefer to use for blog pics stores on one.

Glad you're back in business, though!

NanaDiana said...

Glad you are up and running. Another How To Be A Housewife tip, huh? Go to Best Buy and whine...works for me!;>) Hugs-Diana