Oct 5, 2009

My newest creation - DASH Chicken Stew with CousCous

Slowly but surely I'm getting better at making my low-sodium, low cholesterol meals. Here's a crockpot meal I came up with tonight, and we both loved it. Jeff eats an entire 6 oz chicken breast, but I stick to my 3 ounces, so this will be at least 3 good meals for us. CHICKEN STEW WITH COUSCOUS 1 large onion, roughly chopped 12-15 baby carrots (pre-packaged) 1 10oz. package frozen spinach 1 15oz can black beans, drained and rinsed 3 tsp diced garlic or 3 cloves of garlic, diced 1 tbsp dried Rosemary 1 tsp Black Pepper (more if you love black pepper like I do) 1 tsp parsley flakes or fresh parsley 1 tbs Mrs. Dash 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts 1 15oz. can low sodium diced tomatoes 2 cups low sodium chicken broth 1 cup couscous 1 cup boiling water 2 tbsp fat free cheddar cheese 1/2 tsp garlic powder 1/2 tsp parsley flakes Layer onions, carrots, black beans, frozen spinach on bottom of crockpot. Pour chicken broth over the layers. Place chicken breasts on top of vegetables and beans, sprinkle with spices and herbs. Pour canned tomatoes over all. Cook on high for 4 hours, or on low for 6-8 hours. When chicken is cooked through, turn crockpot off. Place couscous in large heatproof bowl, pour boiling water over, add garlic powder, cheese and parsley flakes, stir gently, and place lid (or dinner plate) on top. After 5 minutes, fluff gently with fork. To serve, place one large spoonful of couscous on plate, place chicken and veggies on top, and ladle a small amount of broth over all. NOTE: I had a small amount of fresh brocolli and fresh zucchini in the fridge, so I broke the brocolli into florettes and rough chopped the zucchini and added both to the initial vegetable layers. I think fresh corn would also be a good addition.

No comments: