Jul 19, 2009

Will I be blogging? I'm not sure...

Well, my two months (gulp) of babysitting for Mr. B start tomorrow. He'll be here from 7:30 am to 5:30pm Monday through Friday, with every other Friday off. One minute I think how much fun we're going to have, and the next I'm wondering how on earth I'm going to do everything that needs to get done with a 3 yr old in tow. The good news? He still takes a good solid 2 hour nap every day. In fact, he'd take a 3 or 4 hour nap if I'd let him, but then he has a tough time falling asleep for his Mom at night, so I do wake him up. And, of course, the best news is that he's very well behaved - very rarely has meltdowns or temper tantrums, and can usually be sidetracked quite easily when they do happen. He has a tendency now and then to get "bossy" but I'll work on that with him as it happens. He starts Vacation Bible School tomorrow, 10am to 12noon every day for the entire week. When we get back from VBS, he'll have his lunch and go down for a nap, so the first week will actually be relatively easy. Of course, the quilting bug finally hit me - today. It is tough to do any sewing or quiltling when Mr. B is here because he wants to help me sew, and when you're doing serious quilting, we all know you have to be exact. Yes, we do projects he can work on with me, but I guess I'll have to relegate nap time for serious quilting time. It's going to be tough, but it certainly could be worse. He could be a screaming, temper-tantrum throwing, obnoxious three year old. He's not. He's funny, well-behaved, talkative and very willing to learn new things. I have a few "goals" while he's here. 1. Teach him to use scissors. 2. Work on his letters and printing his name. 3. Teach him his phone number and address. 4. Teach him how to introduce himself to other kids and ask them if they want to play (I think because he's an only child he's very shy around other kids, especially those he doesn't know). 5. Get him to try some new foods, especially fruits and vegetables. Cut down on snacks and concentrate more on meals. 6. Teach him household chores - feeding the cat and the fish, taking care of our mini-vegetable garden out on the deck, helping fold laundry, take out trash, put dishes away. I'm sure there's more, but that's the basics. So understand if you don't see me blogging - I'm probably glassy-eyed and sitting at my kitchen table trying to muster up some energy. I've always said there's a reason God invented menopause - 'cuz us ol' ladies don't have enough energy to chase 3 year olds!

4 comments:

Karen said...

Good luck with your time with Brayden. I know you'll enjoy him....you always do! I understand how worried you are about time. I feel the same way about starting work full-time. How am I going to be a good wife/housewife if I'm not home all day?

RoeH said...

Oh, you'll have plenty to blog about with the antics of a darling three year old. Sounds like fun to me. Especially the Fridays off, the Vacation Bible School, the two or three hour naps....

Dixie said...

Joan... good luck... Since I still work outside the home I don't get grandkiddos for long periods of time... by the time I retire, the babies will be "tweenagers"... I think I can handle that age group! LOL

enjoy Mr. B... and don't worry if he doesn't accomplish your list... turn on the sprinkler, take a good book and an ice tea... and let him play!

hugs. Dixie

Tipper said...

I'm sure you and Mr. B will have a wonerful time. And after getting to know you over the last year-I bet you manage to get it all done too!