Jan 10, 2009

Little bits

I'm here! I've been stashed away in my quilting room for the past few days. That's right. Me. Sewing. Not cleaning, not organizing, sewing! A BOM block completed, a grocery bag/tote completed for an exchange, some Ricky Timm One Seam Flying Geese blocks done for some upcoming placemats... See? I can do it! I was just waiting for motivation. Photos will come as projects get completed (and after my swap partner receives the goods). Now you're going to thank me. I may even become your new best friend. Ready for this? You know that New Year's Resolution you made about losing weight? STOP! Pick UP that cookie! Step away from the skim milk! A new study is out and it's a doozie! I just finished reading a GREAT book -- and the fact that it was great came as a total surprise to me. I'd heard of the book, but every time I heard the titled I assumed (sorry, Mom) it was chic-lit -- like Red Hat books or Angry Housewives Eating BonBons or ?what was the name of that book about a group of southern ladies - the sweet potato recipe club? Shoot, I can't remember. But that's the type of book I thought I was about to read. Wow, was I wrong. The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows is truly an excellent book, and one that I did not want to end. It is fiction based on fact -- the Nazi occupation of Guernsey Island (which lays between England and France), and how it's residents deal that five year span of time after the war. This is not a military book or war book. It is an amazing array of post-war friends, new and old, who bond with letters and the reading of books. The author's writing style is so brilliant that each character, no matter how briefly mentioned, is an integral part of the story and would somehow be missed if not present. I'll put an Amazon link over in the right hand of this page for you -- or check your local library!

No comments: