Jan 20, 2009

Happy Inauguration Day

Is this a new beginning -- or just more of the same?? I didn't vote for Obama and I'm truly and seriously hoping NOT to have a "Don't blame me I voted for McCain" bumper sticker on my car in two years... I am trying to keep an open mind, and I am most definitely hoping the new President is successful in all he has promised... Our country needs a good role model and strong leader right now, and many, many people believe Mr. Obama is the man for the job. I will be delighted to find out I voted wrong. However, things are not off to a good start. Let's keep in mind the phrase, "Actions speak louder than words" here. From the New York Times today: "New York: Despite country facing worst economic downturn since great depression, Barack Obama’s inauguration will come with a hefty price tag estimating at more than $170 million, a media report said on Tuesday." Now, in case you want to tell me that this isn't coming out of the taxpayer's pocket? This is from the same New York Times article: "The biggest group of donors were none other than the recently bailed-out Wall Street executives and employees, Ritsch said. “The finance sector is well represented, despite its recent troubles. Those who worked in finance still managed to pull together nearly $7 million for the inauguration.” "Among the expenses: a Bruce Springsteen concert, the parade, large-screen TV rentals for all-free viewing on the national Mall, $700,000 to the Smithsonian Institution to stay open and, of course, the balls, including three that are being pitched as free or low cost for the public." Sigh... And from the "Ironic" department, comes this paragraph: "The New York Daily News reported that Obama will use his inaugural address to preach that tough times call for government responsibility, Wall Street accountability and individual sacrifice." And oh, by the way, President Bush's Inauguration cost $42.3 million.

No comments: