Nov 5, 2008

More from My Grandmother's Cookbook

I'm enthralled with reading through my grandmother's handwritten cookbook that I found last week. I thought I'd post a few more recipes that I found interesting. Again, she doesn't give much in the way of detailed instructions, but fairly experienced cooks will be able to figure it out. I think Gramma was born around 1910 or 1911, by the way. The most loving, happiest, family-oriented, home-oriented woman I've ever known. I love Mince Meat Pie. It's a tradition at our house. Now I'm wondering if this is the reason -- did I have "real" mince meat pies when I was young?? Here's Gramma's Recipe: Mince Meat 2 qts or 4 lbs chopped beef 4 qts chopped apples 2 qts sweet cider 1 qt molasses 4 cups sugar 2 tbsp pepper 8 tsp cinnamon 6 tsp cloves 2 pounds raisins 1 pound citron (????) Boil 30 minutes. When cool, add 1 1/2 pts Brandy and add 4 oranges. Brandy?!? Shoot, no wonder I liked it so much as a kid. I'm not quite understanding the oranges though -- dice them up, perhaps? And I assume by the quantities in this recipe that she may have canned it. Gramma's cellar had a LOT of canned goods! Chili Sauce 2 quarts tomatoes (remove skins and cut up) 2 onions (cut fine) 2 cups vinegar 1 cup sugar 2 tbsp salt 1 tsp cinnamon 1 tsp ground cloves 1 tsp black pepper Boil until thick and bottle cold. New England Harvest Cake 1 1/2 cups Pumpkin 3/4 cup sugar 1 1/2 cup brown sugar 3/4 cup shortening 3/4 cup sour milk 3 1/4 cups flour 4 tsp Baking Powder 1/2 tsp Baking Soda 1/2 tsp Nutmeg 1/2 tsp Cinnamon 1 tsp salt 1 tsp ginger 3 egg yolks. Beat in order given. Bake at 350 about 40 minutes. I assume this would be in a 13 x 9 x 2 cake pan or two layer cakes. I also have to assume you would grease and flour the pan(s). I'm surprised raisins aren't in this cake, as many of her cakes had raisins or nuts. I might add both to this recipe. That's enough for now! I also have my Mom's cookie cookbook to look through and will post recipes. My mom was NOT a great cook, but she was an excellent baker. Every year at Christmas she would bake around 50 dozen cookies to give away to neighbors, family, co-workers, etc. And they were amazing cookies! You'll just have to come back for more! THINGS I'M THANKFUL FOR #3
  1. My grandson lives close to me and I get to visit with him often.
  2. Craft ideas I find on the Internet - what a never-ending resource!
  3. People actually take time out of their day to read my blog.
  4. Digital cameras - one of our best technological advances, in my book.
  5. Freecycle people who actually pick items up when they say they will.
MY TWO CENTS ON THE ELECTION RESULTS Obviously, the election didn't go "my" way, but it did go America's way, and that's what counts. I listened to President-elect Obama's acceptance speech last night, and there's no doubt the man has charisma. One thing I believe in, even when I was the most disappointed with President Bush, is that our President deserves our respect. So I will give Mr. Obama the respect he deserves, I hope he does good things for our country, and I will keep in mind that perhaps all those Americans who voted for him know something that I don't know, and give them the benefit of the doubt. This is one of those times that I would love to be wrong.

No comments: