Oct 17, 2008

One little mouse - one huge difference

My computer has been showing it's age (5 years) lately, and getting a bit tired -- the internet had slowed down, games had slowed down -- so, for the first time, I decided to upgrade my computer rather than go out and buy a new one. First, I added 1 gig of memory. I didn't notice much difference, so I then added a new video accelerator card and noticed a small difference, but not what I was looking for. Next, we upgraded to a faster router for our Road Runner service, and wow! did that ever make a difference. Then last night while at Best Buy, I picked up a new Mouse and Mouse pad. Now you'd think all mice mouses one mouse would be the same as the next, but wow, do I love this new mouse! It's a Microsoft Comfort Optical Mouse 3000 , definitely not the most expensive one at Best Buy, priced at ?$24.00 I think. But let me tell you, for anyone who is getting "old" eyes, this mouse is THE answer. It has a magnifier on it! You're clicking away, looking at a web page and see a caption under a photo, but can't read the teeny tiny print -- you place your mouse arrow over the area you want to read, click on a small button on the side of the mouse, and up pops a magnified edition of what you were reading. It can be a small 2 x 2 inches, or you can magnify the entire page. You adjust the size of the magnified area easily by moving the mouse while holding that little left button down. When you're done with the magnified area, you simply click that button again, and it disappears. The mouse also has 4-way scrolling -- you can use the middle scroll button to scroll up and down OR left to right. The other feature of this mouse is that it's comfortable! It's a nice relaxing fit to my hand. It's sleek and gently rounded, longer than any mouse I've had before so my hand rests on it nicely. Saying all that, I just went out on the 'net to see if I could find a picture of it, and came across this description of it on Amazon.com: "Microsoft's most comfortable and affordable mouse in its class, Comfort Optical Mouse 3000 is outfitted with smart features and an ergonomic design. The shape of this mouse provides more contact with the user's hand, reducing pressure, and the ambidextrous design delivers superior comfort in either hand.The new Magnifier tool delivers real-time magnification on any section of the screen, making viewing and editing of hard-to-see text or pictures easier than ever. The Tilt Wheel makes navigating and viewing documents, spreadsheets and images more efficient with four-way scrolling capabilities. And High Definition Optical Technology provides more precise, responsive and smoother tracking." Yeah, what they said! Seriously, this may be one of the best (and least expensive) upgrades for my computer, and I highly recommend it if you have any difficulty reading fine print on the Internet.

No comments: