Aug 8, 2008

Declutter Challenge Day 8 and more

First, let me get the Declutter Challenge Day 8 out of the way. This evening I went through a file cabinet in my office, and found benefits handbooks for Jeff's job that have since been replaced with newer versions, plus information on a pension fund for a job I haven't worked at for three years! Off to the trash it all went... Brayden spent the night last night (in bed and asleep by 8:30 and slept until 8:30 this morning! I tell you, this child is too good to be true!), and we headed off for Ohio's portion of "The World's Longest Yard Sale"... The route we took is the same route the Mary takes to her house after picking up Brayden at the babysitter's (Kelly). As we drove down the highway and came near his exit, Brayden perked up and said, "Umma, turn right here", thinking we were taking him back to his house. I explained we weren't going to his house right now, and he said, "Mama turns right there every day after Kelly's." Not too bad for a 2 yr old! Unfortunately, someone neglected to send out the notice to Ohio that all of Route 127 is participating in the World's Longest Yard Sale. We got on to Route 127 in Hamilton, OH and drove southward, saw a total of 6 yard sales, 5 of which we didn't stop, and one we stopped at but didn't buy anything. We got down as far as the Ohio/Kentucky border, and decided "it wasn't meant to be" and headed to Sawyer Point in Cincinnati instead. They have two GREAT playgrounds, one of which is especially nice for toddlers. Brayden is getting quite brave and will now go down slides by himself and loves to swing. Our weather is gorgeous this weekend, with a break in the high humidity and 90 degree temps, so it was the perfect day to spend a few hours at the playground, and then walk along the river. Of course, I left my camera in the car...sigh. After the playground and a nice walk, we had a picnic in the park, which Brayden also thoroughly enjoyed. As soon as we got in the car, he said, "One more picnic, Umma??" Meaning, of course, "I loved it! Can we do it again SOON?" Bright and early yesterday morning, I went out on the back deck to drink my coffee (enjoying the quiet before Brayden arrived for the day) and this is what I found under the canopy that shades part of the deck. This is one busy spider because I know that web wasn't there 24 hours before. It makes you wonder if early man looked at a spider web and thought...Hmmm..I can weave like that... and thus, baskets and other woven objects were invented. Today, there was a rainbow of colors in the web. If you click on the photo you can see a larger version and a better idea of the fabulous colors involved. Tomorrow Jeff and I are having another go at the Yard Sale -- and hopefully we'll actually find a yard sale or two along the way! If I don't get Declutter Challenge photos up on Saturday or Sunday, I'll post them on Monday. Do you know you can watch the Olympics online?! More than 2000 hours of Olympic coverage that won't be on TV. Just go to http://www.nbcolympics.com to watch. Oh goodie, a new way to waste more hours of the day!

2 comments:

Jeff Johnson said...

Umm, the spider web is cool and all, but it kinda reminds me of that movie Arachnaphobia. I'd be on the lookout for giant South American tarantulas!*

*Note: I saw that movie once and hated it. I have no idea what kind of spiders were portrayed therein. =)

The Calico Quilter said...

It bothers me to have to tear down a spider web that was obviously so much work for the poor thing to install. Must be because I sew and understand putting in hours and hours on a project!

Do you want to see yard sales? Come down here to TN during the event on Rt 127 -- oh, you'll see yard sales! Just don't expect to make good time driving on the road - or try to find a parking spot on the shoulder!