May 17, 2008

Weeds, weeding, weeded

Lordy, weeds are going to be the death of me this year. Here in southwestern Ohio we are having such a lovely Spring with an above-average rainfall, cool temperatures and plenty of blue sky. Perfect weather for hanging out laundry and -- growing weeds!

Jeff and I made progress in getting the vegetable garden ready to plant. It's still very wet, but that just makes it easier to pull weeds. I've gotten my front perennial garden done and Jeff did the flower beds along the front of the house. I still have one more flower garden to do in front, plus the perennial garden in back, plus the gardens along the tiers of the retaining wall. And the vegetable garden is about 50% done now, with a lot left to do. Jeff got my raspberry plants cleaned out, trimmed back and mulched, and I've got the grape vines done.

The neighborhood teenager that was supposed to be helping me just hasn't worked out. Every time he shows up to help, his mother calls him and wants him to do something -- "I have to go with her and get gas," for example. He works 30 minutes and leaves for an hour. Comes back and works 30 more minutes and acts like he's put in a 10 hour day. I have to admit, I'm surprised and disappointed.

So if this weeding is going to get done, it's going to have to be Jeff and I that do it. I'm hoping the weather will stay dry enough this week to get out for at least two hours each day and get the garden weeded and tilled.

Here's a photo of some absolutely stunning golden yellow iris I have in my perennial garden. But what do you see around them? Iris leaves? No! Weeds!!! That's how high the weeds have grown this year already and it's only mid-May! These iris' are between 3 and 3.5 feet tall -- and, as you can see, so are the weeds. And this is in a garden that's mulched every year! I've just never seen anything like it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My weeds are terrible too-last summer I was going through a rough time and hardly had the heart to go out to garden-so this year all my beds were full of old weeds and the new spring ones. I thought I would never get it done!!

Sorry about your teenage worker. Things in my area are so bad you would probably get a line of men and women wanting to pull them for you.