Apr 21, 2008

When you need to sell something...

Wow. Today has been an experience! We still have my old SUV sitting in the driveway, deciding not to have it fixed after Mary's accident with an uninsured driver (I could go on and on about THAT, but I won't... I'll just say this is her 2nd accident with an uninsured driver and both times the cars were badly damaged and both times it was just too darn bad. What is Ohio going to do about this?!?) Anyhoo.... It was a nice sunny day so I decided to go out and take some pictures of the car and put it up on Craig's List. I also created a new blog solely for the purpose of selling the car. I had NO idea! LOL! Within 30 minutes of posting the ad, my email was flooded with requests to come see the car. Now granted, it's not every day you can find a car for sale that actually runs for $750. And it's an awfully pretty car... it was my baby for a long time. But it was in an accident, it has some major repairs that need to be done to it and we had already decided to replace it with a new car and were going to trade this one in. I have had people offer to buy the car sight-unseen, tonight, cash in hand. I have had people beg and plead with me to sell them this car. One guy apparently even came down our street and looked at it, which is a little scarey, since I didn't post my name, address OR phone number! (You get a special email address from Craigs List so you don't have to give out your own.) So tomorrow morning the first person is coming to see the car. He owns a body shop business, so it will be a real deal for someone who can fix it themselves. I know it needs a door and the frame has to be pulled back into shape. The engine is OK for 140k miles, but when we started it up tonight I did hear noises I'd never heard before. It may be because it's been sitting in the driveway since mid-January and never been started, I'm not sure. But the moral of the story here is -- if you need to sell something, try Craig's List, for sure! My blog with the car photos has had over 175 hits as of a few minutes ago -- just 5 hours after putting it up! I've had about 25 email responses, and all but one wanted the car "now". I know we never would have gotten a response like this if we'd paid the $19.95 for an ad in our local newspaper. I'm definitely sold on Craig's List!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've used Craig's List many, many times. We bought our most recent car off Craig's List. I love it! Good luck!