Mar 28, 2008

Creating a new habit

I wish I could remember the name of the blog (Added: I found it! The blog is called The Lazy Organizer) where I read about starting a new habit on Saturdays. It got me thinking about my household habits. I'm a most definitely creature of habit. I am very scheduled about what I do and when I do it. For example, with the exception of the two days I babysit my grandson, I make my bed every morning before coming downstairs. When I go downstairs, the first thing I do every morning is feed the cat, then make a pot of coffee, then clean up the kitchen... which lead me to starting a new habit. My new habit (or hopefully soon to be a habit) is to clean the kitchen thoroughly every night before going to bed. Put clean dishes away, scrub the sink, sweep the kitchen floor, empty the trash if necessary, put out a clean dish cloth and dish towel, wipe down counters and stove top, and put away the bits and pieces that have collected on the counters during the day. I'm not sure how this became a morning habit because it's so much nicer to come downstairs to a sparkling clean kitchen! Normally I clean the kitchen first thing in the morning, but then I bake, or the mail comes and goes on the counter, or I've got a crock pot going -- something is always going on in the kitchen -- so I never really get a chance to enjoy my clean kitchen before the next "mess" arrives. But if I get into the habit of cleaning it every night, I'll at least be able to enjoy how clean it is for the rest of the evening, and again when I first walk into the kitchen in the morning! So that's my new habit I'm trying to create. I started last night, and will continue it every evening around 8pm. It was nice coming down this morning to the clean counters and the swept floor -- I felt less like seeing the room as a "To Do List" and was more able to enjoy the room itself. A side note: Great news!!! My son and daughter-in-law are coming home (from Colorado) in July. I can't wait!! They haven't been home in two years, and it feels like forever since I've seen them. I always enjoy their visits. This time around we will share their visit with her parents, who recently moved into our area -- but that's OK! Any time with my son and/or my daughter-in-law is a gift, and I'll take whatever time I can get :) Yippy Skippy! Jeffie's coming home!!!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Try the site, flylady.com You might enjoy that one if you have not been there yet.
Love ya!

Joan J said...

I've definitely been to Flylady! I actually still have my original SHE book (which FlyLady is based on) from the 1970's, and lived and breathed according to those file cards! It's why I'm such a To Do List fanatic now, I think.

Anonymous said...

oh my God, Joan, I remember those file cards from when you were back here in Salem!!

Anonymous said...

So, I don't get it. You did a freezer inventory and found you had frozen EVERYTHING and then you went to K-Roger as a "loyal" customer and bought more dead animals to freeze, even though a couple of days ago you said you wouldn't have to go to the grocery store for a month. Duh. I'm just dense, but do you ever READ what you write?