Jan 14, 2008

Meatballs and more

My freezer is full! Yay! A week ago I made bucket o'chili (meaning chili in huge quantitites) and froze 5-6 meals worth. A few days ago I made lentil and ham soup, and this morning froze what was left -- about 5 meals worth. Then while grocery shopping today, I bought 2.5 lbs of ground beef and came home and made meatballs -- enough for at least 6 meals worth. When I cook, I always try to do things in duplicate or triplicate, because it takes no more time to cook 2 lbs of meatballs than it does to make one pound of meatballs. I still have to get out the same ingredients, still have to mix it up, still have to bake it in the oven -- so why not do two or three times the recipe and freeze what's left? I make great meatballs. Just a bit of crunch to the outside, soft on the inside, and full of flavor. I don't fry them, I bake them in a 375 degree oven on a jelly roll pan (cookie sheet with sides) for about 30-35 minutes. Before I put the meatballs in the pan, I spray it with PAM and then put enough cold water in the pan to just cover the bottom. Once the meatballs are on the pan, in the oven it goes. The water helps the fat drain off and the meatballs aren't greasy like some fried meatballs I've had. My recipe today for meatballs (it varies according to what I have on hand): 2.5 lbs. ground beef 2 eggs 1 tablespoon oregano 1/4 cup dried parmesan cheese (in the green can) 1/2 cup oatmeal 1 cup bread crumbs 1/4 cup water 1 tablespoon dehydrated onions 1/4 tsp salt 1/2 tsp pepper 1 tbsp worchesteshire sauce Made into medium sized meatballs this made about 60 meatballs. I use them with spaghetti sauce for regular spaghetti, I make meatballs subs, and I even combine them with beef gravy and have them over rice. I also wrap 3-4 up in a tortilla and Jeff takes them to work for lunch. I don't usually put in both bread crumbs and oatmeal, but just had a small amount of oatmeal in a box and wanted to use it up. I tasted one, and they're good! Nice beef flavor with just a hint of italian taste.

1 comment:

The Calico Quilter said...

Sounds delish! I'm going to have to try the oatmeal instead of all bread crumbs. I also saute fresh chopped up onions, but I use the dehydrated ones in things like salmon patties so I'm not constitutionally adverse to them. Glad to see someone else does the worchesteshire sauce too. I buy French's, by the way. I know that Lea & Perrins is "the" worchesteshire sauce, but it's too strong.