Aug 2, 2007

Oy Vay! What a long day!

I knew today was going to be busy but it's 8:30pm and I've still got things to do. Jeff was out of Jury Duty by 11:30pm, so he came home and started shampoo'ing carpets while I went grocery shopping. I unloaded the car, put groceries away, wrapped up a frozen pork loin I bought and had cut into boneless chops and roasts, then did a bit of cleaning, but was generally "land locked" downstairs because all the carpets were wet! So I did head to my quilt room for about an hour, working on a "big boy bib" for Brayden, since he makes such a terrible mess now that he's feeding himself and needs a large bib that covers ALL of him (is it possible to make one that also covers the high chair?? LOL). Then we had to drive to the mechanic's to pick up Jeff's car. Normally this is a 10 minute ride, but the road between here and there was closed (!) and we had to take about a 10 mile detour, only to get stuck at a train crossing for a VERY long and VERY slow train! Once we'd picked up his car, we decided to come back another way, and got caught up in traffic jams at every turn. What should have taken us 20 minutes took well over an hour. Tonight I made 5 lbs of ground beef into meatballs. Some will go to make meatball subs for the poker party tomorrow night, but since I was already making them, I decided to triple the amount and make some for the freezer too. So four batches of meatballs later, that's done. While the last batch was in the oven, (yes, I bake mine) I put together the ice cream sandwich cake. I will say I'd wish I'd omitted the oreo cookies -- possibly put in chopped walnuts or pecans instead. They were just too bulky in the frosting, for my taste. But oh well, I followed the recipe and it looks good. It did take more than the 8 oz of Cool Whip called for -- probably about 12 ounces when all is said and done. Luckily, I had an extra container of Cool Whip in the freezer, so no second run to the grocery store necessary. Tonight we need to get the furniture back in place once the carpets are dry, and I've got to straighten and dust the shelves in my office. The rest of my office is done and looks good -- just forgot these few shelves. It's been a long day and my back feels it. Time for some Motrin and Ice and sit down for a bit. Brayden is here tomorrow, so we'll have to run around again at 5pm after he leaves and clean up toys, sweep or even wash the kitchen floor, etc.

No comments: