Mar 18, 2012

Today's Chopped Challenge - Ground Pork!

I pulled a package of what I thought was ground turkey out of the freezer, only to discover later (after it had thawed) that it was ground pork. The only meal I ever use ground pork for is meatloaf, so I wasn't quite sure what to do with this ground pork. I've been down and out sick with a really nasty cold for almost a week, so my pantry ingredients aren't what they normally are -- no potatoes and the only pasta I have is spaghetti or alphabet noodles!

So here's what I came up with and oh my, it was good! This made at least 6 servings, and it was just as good the next night, re-heated. (We have no leftover phobia around here!)

PORK POLENTA PIE

Ingredients
1 lb ground pork
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped pepper (I only had red, but green would work)
1 clove garlic, minced
1 14 oz can diced tomatoes
1/2 cup seedless raisins
3 tbsp chili powder
1 tbsp ground cumin
1 tsp dried oregano
Salt and pepper to taste
3 cups chicken broth
2 cups cornmeal
Grated cheddar cheese

Directions

Preheat oven at 350.

Heat large skillet over medium heat. Cook pork until it starts to brown, add onions, peppers and garlic and cook until onions are softened and pork is cooked through. Stir in tomatoes, raisins, chili powder, cumin, oregano and salt and pepper. Let simmer.

In second pan, heat chicken broth to a boil and add cornmeal slowly, stirring as you go. The result will be very thick and heavy, but that's what it's supposed to be, so don't worry!

Lightly spray a 13 x 9 x 2 baking pan with Pam Spray. Pour (or plop) the cornmeal mixture and spread it evenly on the bottom of the pan. Next pour the ground pork mixture and spread evenly. Top with a layer of grated cheddar cheese. Cover with foil.

Bake for 30 minutes. Take the foil off and bake for 10-15 more minutes.

I served this with chopped lettuce and a dollop of sour cream. If I'd had some fresh tomatoes, I think I'd have diced some of those up and served as a topping as well.

1 comment:

Barbara Arcement said...

mmmm, it sounds and looks delicious! I might just have to try this one day.
hugs
beebee