Oct 15, 2009

DASH DIET Crockpot Beef Soup

We've always eaten a lot of soup and stews during the colder weather, so I needed to come up with a low-fat, low-sodium soup recipe to replace the old tried and true recipes. This soup had a ton of flavor, despite being low-salt and low-fat. This one is a "keeper"! DASH Diet Crockpot Beef Soup 3/4 pound lean beef, cut into 1.5 inch cubes 6 cups low sodium vegetable broth 2 carrots, cut into chunks 2 onions, chopped 2 stalks celery, chopped 1 can (15 oz) lentils*, drained and rinsed 1 slice turkey bacon, diced 1 cup low sodium tomato sauce 1 tsp rosemary 1/2 tsp cumin 1/2 tsp black pepper 1 tbsp. Mrs. Dash salt substitute 1 tsp worsteshire sauce 1 large potato, peeled, cut into chunks Put all ingredients except potato into crockpot, cook on high for 4-5 hours, or on low 7-8 hours. One hour before cooking is done, add potato. *Lentils - I just happened to have a can of pre-cooked lentils on hand, but you could use any canned bean (drain and rinse to remove sodium) or even dried lentils, if that's what you have. I had leftover couscous with a small amount of peas and carrots, so I reheated that, and served the soup in a bowl, over a spooonful of the couscous, and with a tablespoon of no-fat cheese on top.

2 comments:

Laila said...

Sounds delicious ..
Laila .. www.lailablogs.com

Barb said...

Joan-sounds like you are doing some experiementing. Although I am not on a that diet (probably should be) I am a big herb user already. My daughter the nutriotonist got me the woman's healthy heart cookbook and I love it. I also now subscribe to cooking light!