Sep 8, 2008

Frugal chicken recipe - Curried Chicken Salad

I've mentioned before that when the local grocery store (Kroger) has whole fryer chickens on sale for .88 a pound or less, I stock up. Although not as meaty as a roaster, I can usually get 3-4 meals out of the chicken, plus a good hearty chicken soup. In the summer, I put the carcas in the freezer for soup in the winter. A few weeks ago, I was looking for a new chicken recipe, when I found a recipe for Creamy Curried Chicken on the McCormick (spices) web page. I printed it off and filed it away for future use. I cooked the chicken as a roaster on Saturday, and we had a nice meal of roast chicken, Asparagus salad and Brown Rice. Sunday, obviously, meant leftovers, and I remembered the curry recipe I'd printed out. The Creamy Curried Chicken was a hot dish, and I was looking for something more along the lines of a summer salad and wanted it low-fat. This is what I came up with and it was wonderful! CURRIED CHICKEN SALAD (serves 2-3) 3 cups chopped cooked chicken 2 stalks celery, chopped 1/4 cup plain non-fat yogurt 2 tbsp canola oil mayonnaise 1 tsp Curry powder 1/4 tsp cinnamon 1/4 tsp garlic powder 1/8 tsp ground black pepper Sprinkling of toasted slivered almonds Except for almonds, mix all ingredients. Place serving on bed of lettuce and sprinkle with almonds. I served this with a fruit salad made of cantaloupe, watermelon, blueberries, raspberries and pineapple, which was the perfect accompaniment. I also served each of us a Wasa high fiber Crispbread, to use to scoop up the chicken salad. Wonderful!!! I wish I'd taken a picture of this one -- it was a pretty dish!

No comments: