Aug 14, 2008

Conversations with a two year old

A story from my daughter. Mary was driving in the car yesterday with Brayden in his car seat in the back seat. Brayden was "screeching" -- not crying, just a high pitched yell he does in the car to aggravate the poop out of his mother. Mary said, "Brayden, do you know what Umma used to do to me when I made too much noise in the car?" (Uh-oh - amazing how this stuff comes back to haunt you.) Brayden stopped screeching and said, "Huh?" (translation: I'm listening...) Mary reached her hand back behind her seat and pinched his leg very lightly. (Yeah, I did that... just one more reason I never got a Mother-of-the-Year Award.) Shocked silence for a moment. Then, VERY loudly from the back seat: MAMA PINCHED BRAYDEN! BRAYDEN HAS BOO-BOO! BRAYDEN NEEDS BAND-AID!!!! MAMA PINCHED BRAYDEN! BRAYDEN HAS BOO-BOO! BRAYDEN NEEDS BAND-AID!!!! MAMA PINCHED BRAYDEN! BRAYDEN HAS BOO-BOO! BRAYDEN NEEDS BAND-AID!!!! MAMA PINCHED BRAYDEN! BRAYDEN HAS BOO-BOO! BRAYDEN NEEDS BAND-AID!!!! MAMA PINCHED BRAYDEN! BRAYDEN HAS BOO-BOO! BRAYDEN NEEDS BAND-AID!!!! MAMA PINCHED BRAYDEN! BRAYDEN HAS BOO-BOO! BRAYDEN NEEDS BAND-AID!!!! MAMA PINCHED BRAYDEN! BRAYDEN HAS BOO-BOO! BRAYDEN NEEDS BAND-AID!!!! MAMA PINCHED BRAYDEN! BRAYDEN HAS BOO-BOO! BRAYDEN NEEDS BAND-AID!!!! MAMA PINCHED BRAYDEN! BRAYDEN HAS BOO-BOO! BRAYDEN NEEDS BAND-AID!!!! MAMA PINCHED BRAYDEN! BRAYDEN HAS BOO-BOO! BRAYDEN NEEDS BAND-AID!!!! And on and on for the last 15 minutes of the drive home... Mary thought it was such a good idea at the time.... Another Conversation with Brayden: Jeff, Brayden and I were travelling on Friday in my car, which Jeff doesn't drive very often. We stopped at Walgreens so I could run in and use the ATM machine. As Jeff pulled out to leave, a car swooped in through the parking lot, and I mentioned a car was coming. Jeff said, "Wow - I didn't see him. There's a huge blindspot in this car." From the backseat: Umma! Brayden see blindspot? Me: No, sweetie - you can't SEE it -- it just means Umpa couldn't see to back up. Brayden: Umma! Umma's car broken and Umpa can't see blindspot? Me: No, the car's not broken. Umpa just couldn't see the other car coming. Brayden: Umpa has blindspot? Me: Yes. Brayden: Umma! Brayden see it! Brayden see blindspot! Me: Sweetie, there's nothing to see... Brayden: See blindspot! Me: No, sweetie, there's just nothing to see. You can't see a blindspot. Brayden: Umma! Umpa go in car. Umma go in Walgreens. Umma go in car. Umpa breaks Umma's car. Umpa has blindspot! Brayden see it? Me (frustrated): Brayden - ask Umpa. He's the one who said it. Brayden: Umpa! Brayden see blindspot? And on it went for another 15 minutes until we could distract him! Got to love it! DECLUTTER CHALLENGE UPDATE: I learned the hard way last week that I'm not expected to post photos of my decluttered items every day, but once a week on Friday. But don't think I'm not still decluttering every day! Here's what's gone out this week: Monday - VHS movies we've watched as much as we're going to watch -- off to Goodwill. Tuesday - Obvious garbage and broken things out of the kitchen junk drawer. Wednesday - Reference books I no longer use - off to Freecycle as these might be good for middle school and high school kids. If no takers, off to Goodwill. Thursday - From my hutch - Paper cups, plates and napkins leftover from my daughter's baby shower 2+ years ago. Off to Goodwill. If you want to join the DeClutter Challenge, you can find the info here. I stopped by the My Simpler Life blog today and once again found a great idea for those days I just don't know what to declutter next! It's a printable make-your-own declutter dice! Roll the dice and read what room or item you should declutter next. Don't you just love the way organizers' minds work?!

No comments: