Jun 22, 2008

Don't Overlook your local Hardware Store when being Frugal!

Ace Hardware has instituted a rebate program similar to Walgreens'. Purchase items, go online and put in for rebates, and get those items for a deep discount or free. Since house and car maintenance are an expensive part of daily life, it's great to have another store to turn to for these household needs. Similar to Walgreens and CVS, you need to sign up for an Ace Rewards Card to take advantage of these deals. You should be able to sign up online, though I've tried twice now with no luck. You can also sign up at your local store. In our area, ACE is having a huge "Grand Opening" sale on June 27, 28 and 29. Here are examples of what you will be able to get FREE AFTER REBATE (FAR): Rust Stop Spray Enamel for Grills - $3.99 - FAR OxiOut Emergency Stain Stick - $1.99 - FAR Jobe's Fertilizer Spikes - $99 - FAR Mr. Clean Auto Glass Cleaner - $2.99 - FAR Mr. Clean Car Protectant for rubber, plastic and vinyl - $2.99 - FAR GUMOUT Fuel System Cleaner - $3.29 - FAR These items are not free after rebate (though they could be if you have coupons!), but are deeply discounted: Sprayway Glass Cleaner - $1.99 - $1.00 rebate - $.99 final cost Murphy Oil Soap - $1.99 - $1.00 rebate - $.99 *Scrubbing Bubbles Bathroom Cleaner - $1.99 - $1.00 - $.99 *Shout Laundry Stain Remover - $1.99 - $1.00 - $.99 Fantastik Heavy Duty Cleaner - $1.99 - $1.00 - $.99 Poly Rope with Winder, 100'- $1.99 - $1.00 - $.99 Tire Wet Protectant - $1.99 - $1.00 - $.99 Fix a Flat - $1.99 - $1.00 - $.99 Elmer's Glue All 16 oz $2.99 - $2.50 rebate - $.49 *RayOVac 30 pk AA or AAA batteries - $9.99 - $5.00 rebate - $4.99 6 pc Double-Ended Power Drill Bit Set 7 pc Drill Bit Set 10 Pc Bit and Nutsetter Set - all $5.99 - $5.00 rebate - .99 each 1400 psi portable Power Washer - $84.99 - $25.00 rebate - $59.99 23 pocket Big Mouth Tool Bag - $9.99 - $5.00 rebate - $4.99 Sportsman Lantern - $9.99 - $5.00 rebate - $4.99 ACE Insecticide Spray - $2.49 - $2.00 rebate - $.49 (4 rebates) Cutter Back Yard Insect Spray - $9.99 - $6.00 rebate - $3.99 (2 rebates) ACE Home Insect Spray 1 gal - $6.99 - $5.00 rebate - $1.99 (2 rebates) *OFF Inspect Repellent Spray - $3.99 - $3.00 rebate - $.99 (2 rebates) ACE Weed & Grass Killer - $2.99 - $2.00 rebate - .99 (2 rebates) *These items have had coupons in recent Sunday paper flyers. Use the coupons and save even more and possibly get the item for free. I'm not completely sure how this rebate program works -- if you get your rebates on an ACE giftcard and have to spend that money at ACE, what the expiration policy is, what the "Rewards Points" are about, etc. I am going to my local ACE later today to sign up, and hopefully they will provide more information.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have had an ACE Rewards card for some time now. After you spend so much money ($50, I believe) they send you a coupon in the mail for $5 to spend on anything you like. So, I believe you get 10% back on your purchases. Like anything else, I think rebates and using coupons are super....but you can still find yourself not being very frugal because you are spending, spending, spending. For me, I stay well within my budget by buying only what I need when I need it and don't really shop very much at all. Works well for me as I have always had lots of money left at the end of the month and am able to save that way.

Joan J said...

I agree, Diane! It's very easy to fall into the "I have a coupon so I have to buy it" or "It's free so I must get it whether I need it or not" phase. I think sticking to buying just the things you NEED and normally buy is imperative -- or coupons and rebates could actually cost you money! Thanks for your comment!