May 13, 2008

Decluttering books


I recently spent two weeks cleaning and reorganizing my quilt room. Besides the fabric stash, I discovered I also have a book stash. Back in the day, I used to sell audio books on Ebay, but fee increases from Ebay, PayPal and the Post Office priced me right out of that market. Now the audio books have contributed to the overall book clutter in our house.

I am big on library book sales. We have an exceptional library in my town -- number 8 in the nation for a community of this size -- and this exceptional library happens to have exceptional library book sales twice a year. We used to take two cars so we could fill both. Unfortunately, I'm not kidding.

I have a lot of books I want to get rid of -- those I've read and those I'll never read. I've seen blogs talk about the PaperBackSwap web site, but I assumed it meant I send you a paperback, you send me one in return. I don't normally buy paperbacks, so didn't think it would be useful for me.

Last week I had a few minutes and actually went and read the web site. I was so wrong about this site! Here are some things you may not know:

First, it is an absolutely free service. No fee to you to list your books, no fee to you to receive books.

Most important, it accepts ALL books - NOT JUST PAPERBACKS! It accepts fiction, non-fiction, cookbooks, quilt books, audio books -- any book that has an ISBN number!

You list 10 books, and get 2 credits. You use your two credits to request 2 books from someone else.

Everytime one of your books is requested, you receive another credit (when you ship the book). Thus, you can go get another free book.

There are over TWO MILLION titles currently listed.

When one of your books is requested, you pay postage. You CAN ship Media Mail, which is the least expensive way to send books via the USPS. When you request a book from someone else, that person pays shipping, so it all evens out.

For actual paperbacks, they even provide you with a "wrapper" that includes the shipping label.

You have the OPTION to purchase postage that you can print on your computer (there is a reasonable fee for this). No special labels required. This allows you to print the label with postage and stick the book in your mailbox for your mailperson to pick up. No trips to the post office. If
you prefer to buy your own postage, no problem.

A few days ago I joined, and grabbed 5 books from a nearby bookshelf and posted them. In 15 minutes, I had two requests. I still need to post 5 more to use my original two credits, but now I have two more credits for the books I'm mailing out! That's four free books.

Check it out for yourself. If you have book clutter, but you're an avid reader, this may be the way to go! And don't forget -- there's cookbooks listed, quilt books, craft books, audio books and more! (In fact, soon there will be a LOT of audio books! LOL)

And if you use the link below, I'll get another credit - and another free book. I'll forgive you for contributing to the book clutter in my house!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh I can't wait to try this site! Our local library was having a sale this week a box of books for $2.00 who could resist that? Thank you for sharing this site and the resturaunt site too! I'll make sure to click on your link when I check out the books.